Saturday, April 4, 2015

"Daphne and Amphitrite"

A considerable amount of work has occurred since my last posting, so I have a lot of catching up to do!  I will try in next few posts to indicate some of the various directions I've taken my work, and will include images from the exhibition, "OBJECT: Sculptures, Prints and Drawings by Michael Boles," which is on display at Pensacola Museum of Art through April 18, 2015. An announcement for the exhibition can be viewed in Florida's On View magazine at http://tinyurl.com/lvt5e6c (page 140).

I have completed and installed four large outdoor bronzes since my last posting.  All are at the Tanglewood Legacy Estate of Mr. Fred Levin in Pensacola, Florida.  The first of the four is Daphne.

Daphne is situated on a granite table in the middle of the beautifully landscaped gardens at the Tanglewood Estate. Landscaping was done by Mr. James Martin of Gulfside Landscaping. Cast #2 of Daphne is also included in my exhibition currently at Pensacola Museum of Art.  Her composition is suggestive of the Goddess from Greek legend who was transformed into a Laurel tree by her father, in an attempt to stem the advancements of her suitor, Apollo.  I suppose this legend will live on as long as their are parents and suitors!


"Daphne," 2013; Bronze; 92" tall.


 "Amphitrite" is another large bronze in the Tanglewood Legacy Estate Gardens.  She was inspired by an ancient Greek legend of the Nereids, and suggests wind and water in her composition.  Big girl!


"Amphitrite," 2014; Bronze; 90" tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment